The EOS is a desktop analysis based on oil spill scenarios and published as well as expert knowledge on the environment in an assessment area.
The EOS tool can support decisions of inclusion of mechanical recovery, in situ burning and chemical dispersants in national oil spill contingency plans. In addition, the results obtained through the EOS tool can be used for establishment of cross-border and trans-boundary co-operation and agreements on oil spill response.
The EOS tool is based on an Excel spreadsheet, with references to explanatory boxes provided in the EOS Handbook.
The EOS tool can be downloaded free of charge. However, we also offer to complete an EOS analysis for a specific area. Please contact us for further discussions.
1. Gathering basic environmental data and information for the assessment area
2. Assessments of basic data and oil spill modelling results
3. Scores and indices calculations
4. Decision trees for each oil spill response technology
5. Interpretation and dissemination of EOS results
Janne Fritt-Rasmussen, Special Consultant, Department of Ecoscience - Arctic Environment
Kim Gustavson, Senior Researcher, Department of Ecoscience - Arctic Environment
Further information about the EU H2020 GRACE project can be found here